Tuesday 25 August 2009

Every picture tells a story

August 24
I'm trying to tell myself that rather than abandoning my camera to the elements, I have left a little bit of my soul there in the forest and that’s making me feel better.

We had breakfast at the famous Golden Burro then drove into Georgetown, a very pretty old mining town, now relying on tourists. We went on the narrow gauge railway on a diesel train through the mountains which was great – it doesn’t matter how old you are! Then we explored the town and Steve, having had three weeks and umpteen opportunities to do this, bought an antler so that he can hang up his cowboy hats in the hall at home. This meant we had to take our suitcases out of the car and re-pack them out on the road, in case it would count as a sharp weapon if it went into hand baggage - just as it started to rain.

With heavy hearts we drove to Denver Airport. The deal with the rent-a-hearse was that it be returned with an empty tank. Steve stopped three times during the 70 mile journey to put $2 worth of petrol in each time. It felt so strange to see heavy traffic and skyscrapers after empty roads and mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment