Sunday 16 August 2009

The guard of honour


August 15
We’d been misinformed: Obama’s visit to Old Faithful was today not yesterday so we made an early start to escape traffic hold-ups, and succeeded. Report of his visit is here. We’d not been on the road two minutes when more than 50 bison lined each side of the road, like a guard of honour, to bid us farewell. They were really close. We drove straight to the Teton National Park with lots of stops to look at views. It was a bit chilly today but we discovered that my car seat could be heated.

Young, restless and still rising
The Teton Mountains are considered to be the energetic teenagers of the Rocky Mountain chain. And how many photos can one person take of one mountain range? Hundreds, but still not enough.

Il faut souffrir pour etre belle
Jackson is a really nice town with Western-town architecture laid out in a grid and boardwalks in front of the wooden buildings. But impossible to buy a sweatshirt without Wyoming, Jackson Hole or ‘Get a load of these Grand Tetons’ emblazoned across the chest. I was cold, but there’s a limit.

Mormon Row
We went up to the barns on Mormon Row, apparently the most photographed barns in the world. It was once a vibrant community and is still very atmospheric. There’s a few more pics in this album.

The view from up here
Oh dear, how will I remember everything we’ve seen? How, when taking in a spectacular view, can I imprint it on my mind so I can recall it vividly in the future? Maybe it’s a gift that I don’t have – maybe no one has it. Perhaps photos will help nudge my memory, aided by my thoughts at the time or the music that may have been playing. Let’s hope that everyday life won’t obliterate this amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment